Thursday, October 13, 2005

Working on the Podcast

It has been a long time since I've been able to post, and unfortunately, it has been a long time that I've been able to practice. When I was in Maryland this past weekend, I bought a poster that shows the entire fret board and tries to explain movable cord types. Apparently, if you know what you are doing, you are able to play any cord anywhere on the fret board! Ok, for you musicians out there, that seems to be a rather idiotic and obvious statement... to me... it is a revelation! Another revelation is that the strings and notes for each string follow a DO RE ME FA SO LA TI DO pattern. I have been practicing the C Scale and finding different ways to play the DO RE ME all over the guitar. Someday, I will take real lessons from a professional. For now, I kind of like exploring and trying to figure out things by myself. In the end, this may prove to be a big help when I do take lessons. Most likely, it will prove to completely screw me up so the instructor has to UNDO all the crap that I taught myself just to get me to do things the RIGHT way.

Speaking of doing things the right way, I'm not even sure I'm pressing on the strings in the right location in the frets and with the right part of my finger? I generally hit the cords in the center of each fret and seem to use the very tops of my finger. After a few songs, I notice that my hand starts to hurt and gets a little numb. Is there a better way? Am I trying too hard to do something that should be more simple and gentle? I'm open to help from anyone willing to give it.

No comments: