Thursday, October 20, 2005

In Your Eyes

Yesterday was a very difficult day for the Crappy Guitarist. I had a misunderstanding with a friend, and very stressful day at work, and absolutely no time to practice guitar. Hello... can you say... SUCK ME!!!

The misunderstanding came from the mind of the friend. I would suspect that most disagreements in life are caused by a mis-alignment of thought and words... sort of like playing the wrong cords to the right words in a song that you know very well. It just doesn't make sense and the song ends up sounding terrible. But if you line up the right cords with the right words at the right moment in a song, you have beauty. Usually, it is apparent to the listener that there is a problem right away when it comes to a song. Sometimes, the mis-alignment isn't so apparent. And when one person decides that they are only going to see things through their eyes... you are fucked. Actually, you are both fucked.

So, that led me to find one of my favorite songs and learn it as a tribute to a friend. It is a beautiful song, which is a pain in the ass to play. "In Your Eyes" by Jefferey Gaines. This song is a bitch to play because there is a bar cord in it. Not my cup of tea. Nonetheless, I will work at it until I get it because it is an amazing song.. both lyrically and musically.

I get so lost, sometimes
days pass
and this emptiness fills my heart
when I want to run away
I drive off in my car
but whichever way I choose
I come back to the place you are

And all my instincts, they return
and the grand facade, so soon will burn
without a noise, without my pride
I reach out from the inside.

In case you are interested in learning it, here is a link to the lyrics and chords:

This is an amazing site with a lot of great guitar tabs and chords for 1000's of artists. When I've got this one sounding somewhat OK, I will probably be ready to post my first podcast. Stay tuned and stay happy... and try to look through life through others eye's once in a while. It will definitely make life happier for you and everyone around you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you really care about that friend. Just like playing the guitar, friendship takes practice. Life is too short to squabble. Hope you two get it together.

Cheri said...

Funny, I have a similiar situation and when the song "Collide" comes on the radio, I always think of my friend for some reason. Found out today, its a Howie Day song too. The tune just always reminded me of him. Something about Howie Day's song make you feel connected to someone you really care about. Hope your situation works out. Not sure my friend and I will find out way back to each other. It's looking bleaker by the day!

Anonymous said...

Love that song too! Hey, did you look through that friend's eyes? Just wondering. Good luck with the tune.