Monday, January 16, 2006

They call me a Switcher!?!?

Ok... I took the next step to becoming a musician. It's no secret to performers, that a lot of the real guts of the mixing, loops, etc, are done on computers (laptops primarily) during performances. Take a close look the next time you are at a club watching a local band. Chances are you will see a laptop somewhere around controlling the show. It's running programs like LogicPro, GarageBand, MegaSeg.... and I'm sure countless others.

One problem though... These programs are all Apple software!

I'm a long time MS-DOS/Windows PC user and the thought of using a Mac has never really occurred to me... Until I heard Adam Curry talk about his PowerBook G4 on The Daily Source Code podcast. That started me thinking. I want to do a podcast of all the best acoustic guitar music out there. I want to be able to make great music and record it on my own... So... Why not get a Mac?!?!

And that is exactly what I did two weeks ago. I'm still transferring data from my old laptop, but the transition has not only been painless, it has been delightful. My favorite app so far is GarageBand. I have created a few songs and have even recorded directly into the laptop from the amp connection in Rosie (my guitar). I hope to have a few songs posted shortly, and an announcement of when the Sixstring Torture Podcast will be available.

More on GarageBand to follow!

No comments: